Call for Indonesian Research Consultant - Child Labour
31 October 2018
ASSESSING CHILD LABOUR IN COCOA SUPPLY CHAIN - INDONESIA
Consultancy: Field Researcher
Embode is conducting an assessment of child labour in cocoa supply chains in Indonesia for a large cocoa trading company. The purpose of the assessment will be to provide insights and recommendations on a supply chain child protection monitoring system.
Scope of Work
Embode is looking for dynamic and resourceful Indonesian national consultant to support the field research in Sulawesi. The research will follow the supply of cocoa over a period of 7 or so days. The tentative dates for the field research will be the end of November to the beginning of December (these may change). The consultant’s specific responsibilities will be to support and facilitate the team by:
· Working with the Research Team (online and by email) to prepare and coordinate the research.
· Providing in-country support to organise the logistics, scheduling and preparation of the research. This may consist of
o formally communicating with local authorities to request appointments and meetings
o administrative support to book transport and accommodation.
· Support the team in adapting and finalising the research plan and tools, providing translation into local language where required.
· Conduct research with the Senior Field Researcher and provide translation and interpretation during research and data gathering.
· Undertake data collation, translation and analysis.
· Provide any follow up information and data by email and conferencing.
· Provide important and relevant local knowledge in areas such as local infrastructure (i.e. transportation, government), culture/norms and such conditions.
Where the consultant has technical expertise in a relevant area such as child labour and/or agricultural supply chains, there may be further scope to provide technical input to the assessment.
• High-level of fluency in English and Bahasa, and preferably Buginese.
• Creative thinker and problem solver who is reliable with deadlines and commitments.
• Capacity to travel and be on the road for up to a week at a time.
• Credible experience and background working in social research.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; able to work with people from diverse backgrounds and maintain good relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Strong information technology skills and competency in digital and online conferencing and communications.
• Strong problem solving skills and ability to take initiative in delivering results.
• Ability to think in your feet and take initiative.
• Capacity to understand purpose of project and contribute creatively.
· Technical background and experience in the field of development, social research, child protection etc.
· Graduate qualifications in related field.
· An interest and curiosity in social protection and responsible business.
Child Protection Requirements
As this position may involve direct interaction with vulnerable children, the consultant will need to fulfil preliminary background and records checks before finalisation of contract, in accordance with Embode’s child protection policy.
Interested applications are requested to send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com outlining why you are interested in the position and your proposed day rate by 7th November 2018. Please note that we retain the choice of selecting a candidate before the deadline and therefore encourage applicants to submit CVs as soon as possible.