Job Vacancy: Associate (full time) - remote based
28 Sept 23
Job title: Associate – Business & Human Rights
Reports to: Associate Director
Location: Remote-based, with international travel
Date of Deadline: 16 October, 2023
Candidates who possess experience working in the regions of Asia and Africa are strongly encouraged to apply and will be given preference.
Embode is an international human rights consulting agency focusing on social protection, responsible business, labour, migration, and corporate accountability. With 8 years of experience, we have conducted groundbreaking work in Asia and Africa's agricultural and manufacturing sectors. As an independent expert voice, we bridge the gap between industry, governments, and civil society. Our diverse clientele includes UN organisations, NGOs, and corporations. Through research, field assessments, training, and policy development, our growing virtual team based in over 15 countries ensures the highest standards of accountability and worker protection.
Embode offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a stimulating work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and international working environment.
See www.embode.co for more details about our work.
This role is for a high calibre candidate who has a mindset for growth, a passion for social justice and sustainability, and a spirit for creativity and entrepreneurship. S/he should be a resilient individual who is open to learning new ways of working, thinking and perceiving and is able to work collaboratively in solving complex issues. Embode is looking for candidates who will support a respectful team culture and is both confident and driven to build technical, financial and organisational capacity.
The Associate will be responsible for:
● Research and Field Assessments: Ability to design qualitative and quantitative research methodology, conduct field work, gather and analyse data, and write up findings.
● Project management: Proven experience in managing projects and client portfolios, including resource management and adherence to timelines. This may involve supervising local consultants in undertaking field work.
● Drafting: Proficiency in drafting a variety of documents for different target audiences, such as research reports, project proposals, policy documents, training curricula, etc.
● Stakeholder Engagement: Engage with diverse stakeholders, utilising excellent communication, negotiation, and relationship-building skills to support the growth of the business, develop and maintain client and partner relationships, create high-quality proposals, and actively seek funding opportunities and partnerships externally.
● Organisational Aptitude: Proficient in strategic planning, workflow structuring, and establishing clear priorities to maximise efficiency and productivity, while also being adaptable and skilled in navigating the dynamics of a virtual organisation, fostering effective communication, collaboration, and productivity within remote teams.
● Knowledge Dissemination: Demonstrates proficiency in effectively disseminating knowledge and information through various channels, such as reports, presentations, training sessions, or online platforms, ensuring clear and accessible communication to stakeholders.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
● Relevant qualifications: In the area of social sustainability, human rights, political science and/or international development, etc. Post graduate qualifications are an advantage.
● Language skills: Excellent level of fluency in spoken and written English and an ability to communicate in articulate and culturally-adaptive ways.
● Communication: Proactively maintains regular and effective communication within the team through email, online platforms, and meetings, ensuring a collaborative and informed working environment.
● Technical experience: At least 3 years’ experience in a relevant social field of business and human rights, labour rights and/or social protection (or child protection).
● Field experience: At least 3 years’ experience working in communities, programme implementation, in direct service provision or case work. Capacity in monitoring and evaluation is an advantage.
● Solution-oriented approach: Willingness to work flexibly within a small team where task-based work is often shared across a team depending on availability more than strict adherence to job descriptions. Confident in the ‘learning by doing’ approach.
● Business Acumen: Familiarity with business practices, corporate social responsibility, and the ability to navigate the intersection of human rights and business.
● Creative and innovative: Confidence in advocating for innovative ways of working (both internally and externally), as well as ability to take constructive feedback in order to work creatively to purpose.
● Analytical Thinking: Apply strong analytical thinking to assess complex situations, identify key issues, and develop effective strategies for problem-solving and decision-making while demonstrating the capacity to confront challenges with maturity, strategic thinking, and patience.
Interested applicants are requested to fill out the Embode Associate Application Form no later than 16 October.