Seeking Research Consultant - Malaysia
28 December 2020
Call for Applications – Consultancy
Research Consultant – Malaysia
Embode is an independent, international consulting agency focusing on human rights and social protection, with a particular specialisation in migrant worker rights and protection. Based in Asia, Embode prides itself for being on the ground in locations where many of our projects are focused. See www.embode.co for more details of our projects and subject matter expertise.
In November 2020, Embode published its seminal work ‘The Road to Worthy Work and Valuable Labour’, assessing the situation of migrant workers in Malaysia, which included a focus on the palm oil sector. One of the key findings of the assessment was the lack of voice of migrant workers, including in the palm oil sector. In furtherance, Embode seeks to undertake further consultation with migrant workers and is seeking applications from suitable research consultant candidates.
· Fluent in English and Bahasa, both written and spoken is required
· Strong knowledge and experience in the field of migrant labour rights and protection
· Extensive knowledge of and experience in carrying out field research, such as interviews and focus group discussions, particularly with vulnerable groups
· Ability to travel to and work in either or both Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah
· Experience in application of a gender lens in data collection and analysis
· Proven ability to draft research reports to a publication standard
· Familiarity or previous experience with the issues in Malaysia and palm oil is an asset
· Availability to undertake the consultancy between January to April 2021.
· Excellent interpersonal skills – able to work collaboratively as a team with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think on their feet.
· Highly reliable in delivering to tight timeframes and being responsive to communications
· Fluency in other Asian languages spoken by migrants in Malaysia would be valuable
· Networks with on-the-ground agencies working with migrant workers in Malaysia is desirable
Interested applicants are requested to apply by sending a tailored CV and cover letter (outlining how the candidate fulfills the requirements and an expected day rate) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is 1 January 2021. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.