Job title: Associate – Business & Human Rights
Reports to: Associate Director
Location: Home-based, with international travel
Date: as soon as possible
Asian nationals are strongly preferred for this position
Embode is an international human rights consulting agency focusing on social protection and responsible business, with a particular specialisation in issues of labour, migration and social protection. In the 7 years since its inception, Embode has undertaken seminal work on labour and migration issues across agricultural and manufacturing sectors in Asia and Africa. Our work continues to be at the cutting edge of corporate accountability and labour protection, where we work as an independent expert voice between industry, governments and civil society.
Registered in Asia, with a small international team, Embode prides itself in being on the ground in locations where many of our projects are focused. Our clients include organisations across the UN, NGO and corporate sector, and our work consists of research, field assessments, training, strategy and policy development, workshops and more. We are a growing virtual team of Associates and Consultants based in over 15 countries globally, working either on a full-time or project basis.
See www.embode.co for more details about our work.
This role is for a high calibre candidate who has a mindset for growth, a passion for social justice and sustainability, and a spirit for creativity and entrepreneurship. S/he should be a resilient individual who is open to learning new ways of working, thinking and perceiving and is able to work collaboratively in solving complex issues. Embode is looking for candidates who will support a respectful team culture and is both confident and driven to build technical, financial and organisational capacity.
As a member of the Embode's Core Team the Associate - Business & Human Rights will jointly ensure the management and development of Embode in Malaysia and globally. S/he will manage projects and client portfolios; provide technical guidance and support; source necessary project (human) resources; design, conduct and report on research, studies and assessments; and cultivate existing and new partnerships in line with Embode's strategic priorities.
The Associate should be adept at the following skills:
- Research and Field Assessments: Capacity to design research methodology, both qualitative and quantitative, conduct field work, gather and analyse data, and write up findings. This may involve supervising local consultants in undertaking field work when travel is restricted.
- Business development: Support the growth and strengthening of the business through developing and maintaining client and partner relationships, developing quality proposals and represent Embode externally to actively seek funding opportunities.
- Reliability and project management: Taking shared accountability for team projects and ensuring deliverables are managed and delivered according to agreed timeframes and allocations.
- Drafting: Adeptness in drafting a variety of documents for different target audiences, such as research reports, project proposals, policy documents, training curricula, etc.
- Client and partner relations: Capacity to maintain strong boundary relationships with client and partners.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- Language skills: Excellent level of fluency in spoken and written English and an ability to communicate in articulate and culturally-adaptive ways.
- Communication: Ability and willingness to communicate regularly within the team through email, online platforms and meetings.
- Technical experience: At least 3 years’ experience in a relevant social field of field of business and human rights, labour rights and/or social protection (or child protection).
- Field experience: At least 3 years’ experience working in communities, programme implementation, in direct service provision or case work. Capacity in monitoring and evaluation is an advantage.
- ‘Can-do’ attitude: Willingness to work flexibility within a small team where task-based work is often shared across a team depending on availability more than strict adherence to job descriptions. Confident in the ‘learning by doing’ approach.
- Relevant qualifications: In the area of social sustainability, human rights, political science and/or international development, etc. Post graduate qualifications are an advantage.
- Growth mindset: High level of self-awareness and reflective capacity, both as an individual as well as in groups. Regularly engages in opportunities for learning and development.
- Efficient self-management: Strong capacity in managing one’s work, efficient at working remotely and across online platforms. Also, the capacity to work to task within agreed timeframes, maturity to communicate risks and negotiate boundaries. Incumbent should also be able to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Creative and innovative: Confidence in advocating for innovative ways of working (both internally and externally), as well as ability to take constructive feedback in order to work creatively to purpose.
- Problem-solving: Resilience in withstanding anxiety and capacity to confront challenges with maturity, strategic thinking and patience.
Working at Embode
Embode offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a stimulating work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and international working environment.
Interested applicants are requested to write to firstname.lastname@example.org by 28 February 2023.
The application should include the following:
- A cover letter demonstrating how you meet the job profile and required competencies (no more than 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae (no more than 3 pages)
- Example of an unedited piece of writing
- At least two referees (these will not be contacted without prior consent)